Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Grab Bag

I have several things on my mind and could not narrow down any one thing to talk about so today I will truly meander with my thoughts.

I saw the funniest/stupidest thing today. I was at a four-way stop and two cars were moving into the intersection in front of me. Both of them needed to turn left but since neither of them had their turn signal on they assumed the other was going straight. They proceeded to hold up traffic for 15-20 seconds until they each figured out that the other was also turning left. I see so much terrible driving that I think there should be a mandatory behind-the-wheel test every 10 years so people don't idiotically forget the basics.

I was thinking about music and wondered what my Mount Rushmore of albums would be. Here are the four in no particular order.
1) Aja - Steely Dan This album is the perfect mood record to listen to when you are in the mood for some upscale jazz rock. From short impactful songs to long, winding, epic instrumentals it has a little bit of everything.
2) Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins Speaking of having a little bit of everything, what can be said about this masterpiece that hasn't already been said? For anyone coming of age in the mid to late 90's and into any type of rock/alternative this was the album to own. Lay back, close your eyes and let yourself go on a two hour journey through every emotion. This will certainly go down as the best alternative album ever.
3) Court and Spark - Joni Mitchell Possibly my favorite album ever. Perfect in every way. The songs flow together perfectly, instrumentation is perfect, Joni's voice is perfect. I really grew into this album listening to it almost nonstop on the two cruises I went on. I have probably listened to this 500 times.
4) The Chronic - Dr. Dre The pinnacle of 80's and 90's gangsta rap. This was the first album to blend hard, real lyrics with unparalleled producing. Never before had there been so much melody on rap tracks and the only tracks to have more since ripped off other songs wholesale. Not everyone's cup of tea but definitely the defining album of a very large genre.

A few words about the Angels. My favorite professional sports team was eliminated from the playoffs by the New York Yankees on Sunday. The Yankees were simply better. Once you get so far you always think there is a good chance for your team to win but there is not shame in losing to a better opponent. Manager Mike Sciocsia gets a bad rap for not winning more World Series titles with the team he's got but it's hard to win. Since the Angels won a World Series in 2002, of the four times they have made the playoffs not counting this year, they have been knocked out of the playoffs by the eventual World Series champion three times. They may make it four out of five if the Yankees win this year. They simply are not the better team. It was too bad they couldn't go further but I am not at all disappointed with this year. Great effort all around. By the way, you should have to wait at least a week after your team fails in the playoffs to wear any branded clothing. Wearing Angels gear the next day is not cool.

Finally, a couple of quick notes. Anybody who is fat enough to have ample fat rolls around the stomach should not wear a message T-shirt. I saw a couple today that had illegible words due to excess folding in the midsection. Please do us all a favor; if you are super fat please stop wearing clothes meant for skinny people. Thanks in advance.

I passed a house that had what looked to be spiderweb decorations except they looked like the house got TP'd. Decorations that look like pranks = Halloween FAIL.

I'll stop rambling for now and hopefully on Friday I will have a reasonably coherent group of words for you to read. Until then.


No comments:

Post a Comment