Thursday, June 25, 2009

I'm back. I know the world wasn't exactly waiting in anticipation but here I am. What a few weeks it has been. There were two reasons I was away. The first is that the past two weekends have been Father's Day and my 4 year anniversary. Needless to say not much writing was getting done during those weekends. We had good times and I enjoyed them very much. We have all taken to ABC Wednesday nights watching Wipeout and I Survived a Japanese Game Show. I have been looking for a line to sign off all of my blog posts with and I have found them. It will be one or the other. You'll see what I mean below.

The second reason I was away was due to my increased attention to sports. I love sports; so much so that when one of my favorite teams is close to winning a championship it consumes me. I read every article, watch every game, live and die by every play. Being a fan of the teams I am has been very rewarding this decade. The Lakers have made six trips to the NBA finals, winning four times, the latest being perhaps the most satisfying. My Cal State Fullerton Titans baseball team made it to the College World Series this year, as they have 6 times this decade, winning the NCAA championship in 2004. The Ducks have made two trips to the Stanley Cup finals this decade and were able to lift Lord Stanley's Cup in 2007. The Anaheim Angels won their first world series in 2002 and have been consistent playoff contenders since. USC football has won two championships this decade and played in the BCS championship game in 2006. Even in some lower tier sports such as Major League Soccer my team, the LA Galaxy have won the MLS Cup twice, in 2002 and 2005, as well as making it to the final game in 2001. UCLA basketball has not won a title this decade but made it to 3 straight Final Four appearances from 2006-2008.

These are all teams I have followed since I was 12 or 13 years old (1993-1994 for those of you scoring at home) with the exception of the LA Galaxy who only started play in 1996. To have all of these teams having so much success this decade it makes it very easy for me to enjoy the sports even more. I never have to worry about a disappointing loss or end to the season because I know that another one of my teams will be playing at a high level and competing for a championship very soon. I would argue that the Southern California area has seen one of the greatest runs in championships by a broad range of teams in history. I have been privileged to be a part of that and can only hope that further success ensues. I am back to writing until another one of my teams is tantalizingly close to a championship. I have to go now. The United States men's national team is gearing up for their Confederation's Cup final in South Africa.

Thanks for reading and big balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment