Friday, July 24, 2009

More Things That Annoy Me

Sequels suck. How many movies have been ruined by crappy, straight-to-video sequels that you wouldn't watch if someone was paying you $25,657.83 to do so. Recently I wrote a post about things that annoy me and promised a follow up. Here it is. It might suck, but hopefully not as much as a typical Hollywood sequel. Without further delay, and in no particular order, more things that annoy me.

OK, I'll admit it; I'm short. I'm 5'7" and not a hair's breadth taller. I've always had a bit of a complex about it and I obsess about height. I think I've looked at every post on celebheights.com at least a dozen times. I would give my left testicle to be 6'4" and am very sensitive to all things height related. I'm sorry. But as a courtesy to us small people I would like to extend a challenge to tall people everywhere. Please be conscious of what you are doing and how it relates to the vertically challenged. I have given change to a great many tall people in my life. Almost always, when accepting change they hold their hand straight out in front of them. The problem with this is that straight out for them is at my chest! So now I have to reach up above my neckline to put the change in their hand. It makes me feel 8 inches tall. Can we put the hand down a bit lower please? You're the one with the gift. Look out for the little guy, literally and figuratively.

Tattoos are great. They allow you to express yourself, be creative, and express to the world that you are indeed NOT a badass. So surely if you are way into the tattoo culture, what better way to let the world know (besides that tattoo on your neck) than a t-shirt covered with tattoo inspired art? Such is the logic behind Ed Hardy t-shirts. At first it was interesting but they are popping up everywhere. Remember when if someone had a tattoo they were edgy and unique? Everyone has a tattoo now. I think they have a new tattoo shop opening up with a new line of Disney tattoos for elementary students. The same thing has happened with the Ed Hardy shirts. People buy them to represent what tattoos used to represent: badassness (not a word but if making up words is good enough for Shakespeare it is good enough for me). The rub is that they don't make you a badass, they make you a douche. Especially the long sleeve t-shirts. I've believed this for some time but now that Jon Gosselin wears them all the time, even in the shower, I have never been more vindicated. Who is a bigger douche than that guy? I would like to have a 6 month moratorium on the Ed Hardy shirts and see if we're still clamoring for them after the absence. My guess is that we wouldn't.

What is the reason for the rise in allergies. There is so much medication now for nasal allergies, seasonal allergies, allergies to pet dander and so many other forms of allergies that you could fill 3 medicine cabinets to combat them all. I don't remember hearing about all of these things even 20 years ago let alone when my grandfather was a young man. He joined the armed forces when he was 15 toward the end of World War II. I don't think they were too concerned about itchy eyes back then. There were more important things to deal with. Our lives have become too easy. All you hear about lately is peanut allergies. Even one peanut in the same gymnasium as someone with peanut allergies could lead to that person going into anaphalactic shock. Huh? How did we evolve in one generation to suddenly now have a brand new type of allergy that nobody seemed to have fifty years ago? Because of that one kid students cannot bring anything with peanuts or peanut butter to some schools for lunch out of fear that someone will become ill from inhaling the slightest whiff. On many flights they hand out some crappy fiesta mix because they won't have the peanuts handed out any longer. Can we all just CALM DOWN? Here's an idea. If you're the one person out of 5,000 who has a peanut allergy how about you just eat in a classroom or get home schooled? Why do the other 4,999 kids have to alter their lifestyle to suit yours? Pretty soon we're going to go to a baseball game and not be able to buy peanuts because some albino hemophiliac sitting in a luxury box might have a hint of peanut waft in through the air conditioner. These things never seem to be a big problem in Detroit or South Los Angeles or anywhere people struggle financially; only in Malibu or Seattle. Toughen up people. We don't need to proceed with all the histrionics every time someone MIGHT get sick.

There is this one area outside of the store where I work that is an oddity. It is a very wide concrete ramp between a handicapped parking spot and an open, covered outdoor area. Nobody is quite sure what its purpose is. The one thing everyone can agree on though is that it is not a parking spot. Inevitably though, I see cars parked on that ramp from time to time. This despite the fact that the ramp is the same width and looks the same as the ramp which leads right up to the front door of the store. I am never sure who parks on this ramp but I know they have at least one thing in common: the car they drive is a luxury car. I don't want to jump to any conclusions because, after all, I am the last who would ever do so. But it seems to smack of the rich guy doing whatever the hell he wants doesn't it? I'm not saying they are bad people. I sincerely believe that many of these people aren't consciously thinking about the fact that it might not be a parking space and parking there anyway; the thought never crosses their minds at all. This is the true problem. Those with money tend to have the ability to smooth things over far more easily than those without money. There are not major repercussions for actions. It makes people careless and they end up parking in areas that are not supposed to be parking spaces. Can we, as a society, pay some attention on the road? If the parking lot is full and there is what appears to be a prime parking spot open, can we stop to think about why that space might not be filled? Maybe it is because it is not a parking spot after all. Just saying.

On that same note why are we so afraid to be wrong? I don't know about you but I have been wrong a time or two, or fifty thousand, in my life. When I'm wrong I say I'm wrong. It hurts sometimes but I know that admitting it and learning from it will make me a better person. I'm not sure when it became a crime to be wrong but people would rather kill than admit they made a mistake. I never understood grammar much until I studied German in school where I learned about the passive way of speaking. Instead of saying "I wrote the paper" you would say "The paper was written". It shifts the subject from the person doing the action to the action that was done. This passive voice has been growing louder in recent years. When someone cannot operate a machine they say "the machine will not work" instead of "I cannot work this machine". They say "this screw will not go in" instead of "I cannot screw this in". You get the idea. We have become a nation of people who must not be at fault at all costs. Perhaps it is because of hyperlitigious attorneys who use any admission of fault to extort money out of unwitting persons. Maybe not. Either way I had to get my requisite shot at attorneys in sometime. I think it's because of the artificial self-esteem inflation that has happened in schools. We are taught that we are great, no matter what others say, so why would we think WE are the ones who are wrong? It must be the fault of something, or someone, else. If we all took more responsibility for our actions and a little more blame upon ourselves maybe we would learn something and become better human beings. Is anybody against being a better human being? I didn't think so.

Thank you for letting me get those off of my chest. There are plenty of things that annoy me but that clears things up for a little while. All I ask as you go through life is that you pay attention to what you are doing and ask yourself if it is a good idea, if it's the right thing to do, or if it will make the world a better place. If not, try not to do it. I wouldn't want you to end up on one of my lists someday.

Hai Majide

No comments:

Post a Comment