Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Brief History of My Warped Mind

Sorry it has been a while since I've posted. Hope you all are still with me. I haven't had much to think about since I've been immersed in sports this last week with my Lakers and Ducks advancing in their playoffs. I did have a dream last night that got me thinking. I dreamed that I was trying to come up with something to write and got to thinking about time travel. I was trying to come up with the merits of time traveling forward or time traveling backward and which was easier and more likely. Here is my unedited version of what I came up with. Keep in mind this was all in my subconscious so this will either be genius or completely ridiculous.

I reasoned that if one were trying to time travel forward this could theoretically be done. As one travels close to the speed of light or accelerates near a large source of gravitational energy the effect on time is as follows. From the perspective of an outsider looking at the traveler, the traveler's time seems to slow down. From the perspective of the traveler, everything around him seems to speed up. Theoretically, if one could accelerate to such a speed and take a trip away from Earth and return to the same point later on, much more time would have passed for those on Earth than the traveler. Thus, the traveler would have effectively traveled forward in time. It would be difficult to do this for many reasons. First, no ship could carry enough fuel to reach these kinds of speeds. Second, hitting one microscopic particle at such speeds would completely obliterate the ship. Much more plausible would be unleashing a currently unknown force which would warp space causing a craft to pass through at high speeds (a la Star Trek).

Traveling back in time would be much more difficult though. To reach a particular place in time in the past would require warping space in such a way that it opens a wormhole to a specific point in space time (a theoretical four dimensions with three dimensions being space as we know it and the fourth time). This would prove much more difficult and thus is not likely to be done before we can travel forward in time. Unfortunately, traveling forward in time poses no paradoxical situations but is also less useful, as one can only see what he will miss were he to live his life as normal and would likely not be able to travel back to the point in which he came from.

I did dream all of that and will look forward to doing research on whether this actually makes sense or whether it was complete gibberish that Stephen Hawking would synthetically laugh at. It was one of the more interesting dreams I have had lately though. Sometimes I do wish I would dream more about sports more. My brain gets too tired to work too hard at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment