Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Bad Language

F*#^, s&@*, c@*#. Ok, not that kind of bad language. I am talking about the kinds of egregious, bone-headed, unfathomable language mistakes that simultaneously make me cringe and make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. We all misspeak from time to time, but some errors are worse, and more common, than others. Here are some of my serial offenders.

Nothing is worse than when life-long English speakers manage to completely mispronounce common words. We all know about some of the more universal mistakes: pronouncing nuclear as nuke-you-ler or foliage as foil-age. How about some others? Do you say "Alls you have to do" instead of "All you have to do"? I heard a woman on TV say "volleyvall" instead of "volleyball". Seriously, what has this language come to?

Another of my pet peeves is when people use "I" instead of "me" and vice versa. One should not say "My brother and me went to the store." Nor should one say "Go to the store with my brother and I." Just use "I" or "me" as if the other subject of the sentence was not there. It's just that easy.

I am no English major (though I have known a few), nor do I profess to have perfect grammar and literary skills. I do not commit any of the aforementioned atrocities, and my ears would kindly ask that if you do know anybody who has difficulty with any of the above mistakes, you swiftly and forcefully smack him or her on the back of the head. Thanks in advance.

Hai Majide

No comments:

Post a Comment